AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
January 23, 2003 10:57AM
I'm curious to know how the cdf program converts test statistics to p-values. The help file for cdf is somewhat terse. I've tried to figure this out on my own for the correlation coefficient and I came up with using Fisher's z transformation (Fisher 1920) to go from r to z and then 1-cumulative density function(z) to go from z to p. But the result doesn't exactly match that of the cdf program. One paper (Bandettini et al. 1993) suggested another equation, which seems to give a third value. Perhaps there is no perfect method to map [-1,+1] to (-inf,+inf), but I would like to know how cdf does it for r values (as well as other test statistics). Any and all references would be helpful.

By the way, I'm a grad student teaching myself fmri, and I was wondering: why does it seem like I need a PhD in statistics before I can get a PhD in fmri?

References

Bandettini PA, Jesmanowicz A, Wong EC, Hyde JS. 1993. Processing Strategies for Time-Course Data Sets in Functional MRI of the Human Brain. Mag. Reson. Med. 30: 161-173.

Fisher RA. 1920. On the "Probable Error" of a Coefficient of Correlation deduced from a Small Sample. Metron 1: 3-32.
Subject Author Posted

Test statistic to p-value (cdf)

David Soltysik January 23, 2003 10:57AM

Re: Test statistic to p-value (cdf)

bob cox January 23, 2003 01:21PM

Re: Test statistic to p-value (MATLAB)

David Soltysik February 11, 2003 01:28PM