AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
bob cox
May 04, 2003 04:32PM
I have just modified 3dDeconvolve to be able to use multiple CPUs on a shared memory SMP system. The only such system I have easy access to is my dual-Athlon Linux tower. With this system, a run that takes 226 sec normally took 119 sec with the new "-jobs 2" flag. Results were identical (which is good, of course).

I'd like to have some people with other types of SMP systems (SGI, more than 2-way Linux, Mac OS X?) test this modification. The source code is now in the AFNI distribution on this server. The only change to a script needed is to use the additional command-line flag "-jobs J", where J is the number of processes you want to use. Of course, you'll have to compile 3dDeconvolve (or the entire AFNI distribution) first.

Inter-process communication is via shared memory. This means that on some systems, you might have to tell the OS to increase the upper bound on the max size of a shared memory segment. If you have this kind of trouble, let me know.

The program prints some progress stuff when it is using multiple jobs. The sample from my dual-Athlon run is below:

++ Shared memory: 6684672 bytes at id=10551297
++ Voxels in dataset: 98304
++ Voxels in mask: 19222
++ Voxels per job: 9611
++ Job #1: processing voxels 48081 to 98303
++ Job #0: processing voxels 0 to 48080
++ Job #1 finished.
++ Job #0 waiting for children to finish.
Writing `bucket' dataset into ./hc_speedo_jobs2+orig.HEAD

any volunteers out there? -- Bob Cox

Subject Author Posted

Parallized 3dDeconvolve - testers needed

bob cox May 04, 2003 04:32PM

Re: Parallized 3dDeconvolve - testers needed

Marci Flanery May 04, 2003 07:04PM

Re: Parallized 3dDeconvolve - more info

bob cox May 05, 2003 02:28PM

Re: Parallized 3dDeconvolve - testers needed

bob cox May 06, 2003 10:56AM