AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
September 11, 2003 07:24PM
Gang,

Sorry this is getting so involved, but I am still confused.

I don't understand your statement: "since your irf's have a peak of one"?

I have an original signal time series "normalized" as percent signal change, and I have a regressor that is based on the output of the waver program. Waver has been given an input that looks something like this:

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

(i.e. there are three "on" periods and each "on" period consisted of stimulus presented continuously over a 5 TR duration)

I want to use one "lag" (using the output of waver as the only irf-regressor of my 15-sec stimulus) in 3dDeconvolve. Will this single beta coefficient (calculated for a single (waver-produced) regressor that peaks at 1.604) for the stimulus be meaningful in terms of % signal change? Or does the peak of the output function from waver need to be made to be =1?

I have just run a little test, where I have made the output of waver that I use for my regressor to peak at 1, and another output I have made to peak at 2. When I put these two regressors through 3dDeconvolve separately, I get, for an example voxel, a beta coefficient for the waver with peak "1" = 8.0817, and the beta coefficient for the waver with peak "2" = 4.014718 (the baseline coefficients for both of these 3dDeconvolve output regressions is the same). So, the fact that the peak value of the regressor I use impacts the magnitude of the beta, brings me back to my question.

Should I make the output function of waver peak at 1, or do I use the output that waver gives me (where peak is set =1 but actually results in a higher peak because my stimulus design is not an event-related design, and so the gamma waves overlap)?

I know that in terms of statistics, if all the data are treated similarly, this will not impact whether I find a significant difference between two stimulus conditions. But, if I want to report a value for % signal change for each of those conditions, I'd like to be sure that I have estimated it correctly.

Again, I apologize for my ignorance, but it's just not so clear to me.

Thanks for your help - Liz

Subject Author Posted

waver -peak

Elizabeth Felix September 10, 2003 02:48PM

Re: waver -peak

rick reynolds September 10, 2003 04:34PM

Elizabeth Felix September 10, 2003 04:56PM

Gang Chen September 11, 2003 08:35AM

Elizabeth Felix September 11, 2003 10:13AM