AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
September 19, 2003 02:12PM
Hello,
Out of curiousity, I wanted to test different interpolation methods in 3dvolreg to see which produced the best registration for my data – the results seem surprising to me and I was wondering if anyone had any insight into why things turned out this way (sorry in advance for the lengthy post)…

Part 1:
I ran the following command line:

3dvolreg -verbose -verbose -Fourier -twoblur 3 -twopass -coarse 1 4 -zpad 2 -prefix Vrun1 -base 'run1+orig[50]' -dfile run1ORT.1D run1+orig

and compared it with the output from running the same exact command line, but substituting “heptic” for “Fourier” for a group of 10 adults subjects.

I used three indices for comparison:
1. For each subject, the sum of the (RMSold-RMSnew) across all TRs. I obtained the RMSold and RMSnew values from the last two columns of the dfile and simply subtracted them.
2. For each subject, the average RMSold-RMSnew across all TRs.
3. For each subject, the maximum RMSold-RMSnew across all TRs.
All three indices for each subject (and thus for the group as a whole) are significantly larger (and I assume, better) for the heptic interpolation - I had predicted that Fourier would be better.

Part 2:
I am further confused by the fact that when I run the following command line (Fourier interpolation, single pass registration):

3dvolreg -verbose -verbose -Fourier -prefix Vrun1 -base 'run1+orig[50]' -dfile run1ORT.1D run1+orig

and compare it with the results of the command line in Part 1 above (Fourier interpolation, two pass), the numbers look almost identical. I was under the impression that the two pass registration would be significantly better. I also did this little experiment with a group of four child subjects (more movement in the data) and everything came out the same way.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Brianna

Subject Author Posted

3dvolreg - surprising results?!?

Brianna September 19, 2003 02:12PM

Re: 3dvolreg - surprising results?!?

Ziad September 19, 2003 03:29PM

Re: 3dvolreg - surprising results?!?

bob cox September 19, 2003 03:56PM