AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
October 24, 2003 03:41PM
This falls into the "I love AFNI but want to do SPM-style analysis" category...

I have been playing with using the default gamma function (the "Mark Cohen" function) and its temporal derivative as basis functions to analyze event-related data in which stimulus presentation is staggered with respect to TR.

I find that this approach tends to "underfit" the actual data somewhat, and it appears that it could be improved if the "undershoot" could be included in the model. That is, the hemodynamic response dips below baseline several seconds after its peak, and then returns.

In SPM, a standard technique is to use the so-called canonical HRF, which is a combination of two gamma functions, the first modelling the increase and the second the undershoot. I would like to input this canonical HRF into waver and use it. However, I have been unable to find the exact equation for this function in the literature. Inspecting the SPM code, it appears that the basis functions (canonical plus one or two derivatives) are generated on the fly, and then "orthagonalized" in a second step, the necessity of which is beyond my understanding.

Does anyone know the formula for the canonical HRF and its derivatives, or a procedure to derive them? What about orthagonalizing them - is it worth worrying about?

-Jed Meltzer
Yale University

Subject Author Posted

canonical basis functions for event-related design

Jed Meltzer October 24, 2003 03:41PM

Re: canonical basis functions for event-related design

Gang Chen October 24, 2003 03:54PM

Jed Meltzer October 27, 2003 12:22PM

Jim Eliassen October 28, 2003 10:22AM