AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
November 05, 2003 12:11PM
Hi Phillippe,

If you want to get some sense of the model fitting across all the subjects, you could convert the full F to zscore (normal distribution) by running 3dmerge with option -lzscore, and then do group analysis with 3dttest on the zscore values by testing whether the zscore is signicificant at each voxel. I think this could work for your purpose.

As I said before, converting full F to t is problematic because it is hard to decide what sign you would assign to t with t = +/- F^(1/2) at each voxel. And also 3dttest runs on data presumably from normal distribution, but not from t.

Your question No. 1: The assumption of normality is about the noise at each voxel, but not the real signal across all voxels in the brain. Theoretically if you model the real signal at each voxel with all the necessary components (drifting baseline and all stimuli), the leftover part would be white noise, and such noise is independent across all voxels. Probably you could test whether the residuals at each voxel are N(0, 1)-distributed or not.

3dhistog would give you the histogram of a subbrick in a dataset, thus it is the distribution of that quantity (i.e., F, t, zscore, etc.) across all the voxels. But this is not what you want to test. Instead, it is the residual at each voxel you would want to check its normality.

Question No. 2: I am not so sure whether there is such a plugin available or not. Hope somebody else could chime in about this.

Gang
Subject Author Posted

avergaing across F-values

Philippe Goldin November 04, 2003 06:30PM

Re: avergaing across F-values

Gang Chen November 04, 2003 07:38PM

philippe goldin November 05, 2003 11:31AM

Re: avergaing across F-values (normality)

Dan Rowe November 05, 2003 12:05PM

Gang Chen November 05, 2003 12:11PM