AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
bob cox
November 14, 2003 03:43PM
re: First question. Does your design have gaps ("rest") between the trials, or is it one very long trial (e.g., a learning experiment)? If you just have one very long trial and want to see trends in activitation during that trial, you are pretty much out of luck. The "noise" contains long duration trends, too, so you can't reliably find steady activation that drifts down over a long period of time.

However, if you have a "normal" type of experiment (block design with short-ish blocks, or event-related design) that has interspersed "baseline" condition intervals, then you should be able to detect activation trends. There are a couple ways to imagine doing this.

Method A would be to divide the stimulus periods into 2 classes -- early and late -- and treat each class as a separate stimulus. Then a GLT with a [1 -1] contrast between these would bring out significant differences between early and late responses, while the GLT with the [1 1] contrast would bring out the sum of the responses -- you would probably want to first restrict yourself to look at voxels whose sum GLT is significant, then see which of these have a significant difference GLT.

The disadvantage of Method A is that you have to divide the responses at some point that probably isn't a priori obvious. Method B is to assume that the habituation takes place at some given rate (linear with stimulus index?). In that case, you would want to create a second regressor that incorporates this trend. If we call the habituation trend function w(i) [where i=stimulus index], then a reasonable regression model for the i-th response would be
ri(t) = a*h(t-si) + b*w(i)*h(t-si)
where
ri(t) = response at time t to i-th stimulus
h(t) = ideal response to a single stimulus at time 0 (from waver)
si = i-th stimulus time
a,b = response amplitudes to be estimated from data by 3dDeconvolve

The second regressor (stim_file) input to 3dDeconvolve would then have to be the sum over i of w(i)*h(t-si). How to produce such a thing? At the moment, waver is not set up to generate such a thing (e.g., with the -tstim option to provide the si's and a nonexistent -wstim option to provide the w(i)'s). This could be added, at the cost of intense suffering.

re: Second question. I think that putting regressor with no lags that has 1 at the TR immediately at-or-following each eyeblink is a reasonably way to try to remove the effect. You could use -stim_base to put this regressor into the baseline model, so it wouldn't count in the overall F statistic map.

bob cox
Subject Author Posted

adding a regressor for habituation, behavioral response

Morris Goldman November 13, 2003 03:11PM

Re: adding a regressor for habituation, behavioral response

Gang Chen November 14, 2003 11:42AM

bob cox November 14, 2003 03:43PM

bob cox November 14, 2003 04:02PM