AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
December 19, 2003 02:55PM
Hello,

I need to do an across-subjects mixed effects analysis, in an study for which the within-subject contrast of interest is based on behavioral outcome (correct versus incorrect response.) Therefore, the design matrix is different for each subject, and there are not the same number of trials in each category for each subject. So it seems that just doing a second-level random effects analysis with beta weights as the "summary statistic" would not be valid. If I'm wrong on this, and it is possible to use the built-in ANOVA programs, just stop me here.

I am thinking of using Keith Worsley's MATLAB suite for fMRI analysis just to do the mixed-effects multi-subject analysis, since I am quite happy with the rest of the process done in AFNI. I have to feed this program two things: maps of the beta weights (actually a linear contrast, the subtraction of two beta weights), and corresponding maps of the standard deviation of that weight. I need to know how to generate the standard deviation maps. I think I have figured out a way, but I want to run it by the experts to make sure it's correct.

I am doing regression with basis functions, not FIR deconvolution. Here are my proposed steps:

1) Run the regression with 3Ddeconvolve, using the -vout option to get a map of MSE.
2) Re-run the regression using the -nodata option, to find out the "normalized" standard deviation of the contrast assuming MSE of 1, for each subject separately.
3) Square the number so obtained, and use 3dcalc to multiply it by the MSE value at each voxel obtained from -vout.
4) Take the square root of those numbers using 3dcalc.

And viola, a map of the standard deviations of the regression coefficient.
What do you think of this procedure? Thanks!
Subject Author Posted

standard deviation for beta weight

Jed Meltzer December 19, 2003 02:55PM

Re: standard deviation for beta weight

Jed Meltzer December 19, 2003 03:50PM

Re: standard deviation for beta weight

Gang Chen December 19, 2003 07:21PM