AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
May 17, 2004 03:51PM
Hi all

Here is my story:
I have 2 groups of subjects.
I transformed each individual subject to Talairach and processed each of them with fico.
I took the Fisher transformed of each fico map using 3dcalc
(3dcalc -a 'group1_subject1 _cor+tlrc[3]' -expr 'atanh(a) ' -fscale -prefix group1_subject1).
I used 3dttest to run group analyses, first on each group separately, then comparing both groups.
I also performed a ROI analysis, extracted the signal in selected ROIs (before fico but after Talairach transformation) from each individual from the two groups and calculated correlations with Excel.

The group maps on each group made total sense to me. Group 1 exhibited mostly positive T values in agreement with the ROI analysis. Group 2 exhibited both positive and negative T values in different regions, also in agreement with the ROI analysis. The ROI analysis also showed that in regions where both groups had positive correlations, those correlations were always stronger for group 1 than for group 2.

However the results of the analysis comparing both groups puzzled me.
Here is the basic command I used:
3dttest -prefix ttest_atanh_gr1-grp2 -1blur_fwhm 6\
-unpooled -set1 group1subject1+tlrc ….
-set2 group2_subject1+tlrc ….

This group analysis produced a map with almost only negative T values, which I interpreted as group 2 being more strongly activated in those areas than group 1 (right?). However, this really doesn’t fit with either the group maps acquired separately on each group nor with the ROI analysis.

Is there some statistical trick that I don’t understand, or does that result make sense? or did I just do a very stupid mistake in my commands or worse in my reasoning?
Any help will be strongly appreciated.

Thank you very much

Barbara

Subject Author Posted

puzzling 3dttest map

Barbara Cerf-Ducastel May 17, 2004 03:51PM

Re: puzzling 3dttest map

Gang Chen May 17, 2004 05:29PM

Barbara Cerf-Ducastel May 17, 2004 06:31PM

Rich Hammett May 17, 2004 06:47PM