AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
August 18, 2004 01:17PM
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your clarification. I understand the experiment design better now. So, the three categories of stimulus temperature (hot, warm, and cold) are based on each subject's perception, and thus all subject don't necessarily receive a condition (e.g. warm) at the same temperature, right?

Still if each stimulus file corresponds to one specific temperature, it seems to me that scaling/weighting the stimulus timing is not justified. The purpose of such a file is to tell the program when and whether a stimulus is present (1) or absent (0), and the timing does not carry any more meanings (e.g. relative magnitude of the stimulus) than just timing. You can make the timing file look like some ratios, but in the end regression analysis would give you proportional adjustment on the beta coefficients with the corresponding statistics (t or F) remaining the same since scaling does not change its variance.

In theory, base on what each subjected reported as hot, warm, and cold, what you should find are activated areas that match what is reported as cold, warm, hot. Partial Fs values would indicate the hot stimuli having the highest partial F value, the warm stimuli having the middle F value, and the cold stimuli should having the lowest partial F value. However, a lot a times that isn't the case, sometimes all 3 levels have the same intensity, some times hot and warm response are around the same, with cold response being having the lowest instensity.

I understand your hypothesis (activation is expected to have the same trend as the stimulus temperature), but I can't see anything obviously missing in the regression analysis. Maybe there is some covariate? Or some hiding factors? Hope other people chime in and provide some thoughts about this.

Gang
Subject Author Posted

Re: 3dDeconvolve & stim-.1D files

Gang Chen August 17, 2004 05:35PM

Michael August 18, 2004 11:10AM

Gang Chen August 18, 2004 01:17PM