AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
purcel14@msu.edu
February 10, 2005 09:52PM
Hello,
We are analyzing a pseudo-randomized event related data set. Our processed multiple regression results via 3dDeconvolve seem to indicate that we may not have a representative baseline for our data. This is due to some unexpected results and the post-observation that we don’t have any “baseline” dedicated time points in any of our time series.
One perspective of our data that gives intriguing results is one where we acquire an IRF curve (via 3dDeconvolve) for the total extent of the expected BOLD response (about 15 sec, or 6, 2500ms TRs) and subtract the initial time point least squares estimate from the “peak” or time point least squares estimate (thus we subtract the [0] sub-brick from the [2] time point). After this we would still calculate the percent signal change from the baseline constant.
Our reasoning begins with the vagueness of what our baseline constant represents, as there are no “pre-set” baseline points in the time series. So with this in mind if we consider our activation as difference from the first time point and not so much from this indistinct baseline we felt we would in some small way compensate for the lack in baseline points in the time series.
My question is if there is anything fundamentally wrong with looking at the data in such a way?
If not I would love to hear any suggestions as to where would be a good place to look for solutions to such annoying baseline issues.
I apologize for any lack of clarity and look forward to any response that can be given.
Thank you for your time!
Jeremy
Subject Author Posted

baseline question

purcel14@msu.edu February 10, 2005 09:52PM