AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
Jim Eliassen
March 28, 2005 02:21PM
Hi,

So the basic idea would be very much like VBM, but now using individual voxels from an independent "predictor" dataset to predict voxel values in the dependent dataset.

What problems do you see with the following approach? Let's say we're trying to assess whether gray-matter (GM) density predicts the degree of activation in a voxel. Assuming datasets with equivalent geometry one could pull out an individual voxel value from, say, the GM segment of a T1 image, for location xyz using 3dmaskdump and supply this value to one column of 3dRegAna. Then one could run 3dRegAna on fMRI data, maybe including additional task predictors, take the resulting output dataset and pull out only the value at location xyz. After iterating through all the xyz locations you could build a dataset using 3dUndump. Without masking it could be alot of extra computation, but it might do the trick.

Looking back on this idea, for a group of participants, you'd have to obtain the GM value from location xyz for each separate participant and feed it to the right row(s) of 3dRegAna.

It seems to me this would answer the question of whether a voxel's GM signal predicts activation? But is it problematic that each xyz location has a different GM predictor?

I have some DWI/DTI data from a group of MDMA users, so I'll have to try out the new tools. Regarding GM/WM segmentation, I've been using FSL's FAST, but it always seems easier to keep things in one (AFNI) format, rather than migrating between formats and trying to maintain the right positioning and orientation at each step.

thanks,

jim
Subject Author Posted

image datasets as independent variables

Jim Eliassen March 24, 2005 11:58AM

Re: image datasets as independent variables

Robert Cox March 28, 2005 09:04AM

Re: image datasets as independent variables

Jim Eliassen March 28, 2005 02:21PM