AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
May 03, 2005 11:46AM
Jill,

I am definitely not an expert on motion correction. A FMRI physicist might be a better source for this. I will just comment a little bit on the last two questions in your original message:

> 4) what are peoples thoughts on including motion parameters as
> regressors of no interest? i know that some include motion
> parameters as regressors of no interest for each subject as a matter of
> course, while others include them only for subjects who have
> particularly problematic motion, or where it seems to improve
> statistical results. would those of you who do so be willing to post
> a brief message about the pros and cons of your method of choice?

My view is this:

- motion correction for all subjects

Pros: (1) well-balanced analysis for all subjects, especially for group analysis; (2) same degrees of freedom for all subjects

Cons: (1) violates the principle of minimism - wasting some regressors for some unnecessary corrections; (2) lose degrees of freedom for those "good" subjects.

- motion correction only for those problematic subjects

Pros and cons are just the flip-side of the case of doing correction for all subjects.

Personally I would do motion correction only for those problematic subjects and include only those problematic motion parameters. But again, this is just my personal preference.

> 4a) what are your thoughts about using just some, but not all motion
> parameters as regressors of interest? i.e. should it be all or none?
> can one include just translation, or just rotation? or include just
> one axis if is it looks problematic?

Personally I would check first the output from 3dvolreg, and pinpoint those troubling motions. Then I would only include those troubling ones as regressors of no interest. Pros and cons are similar by the same token as above.

Hope this helps,
Gang
Subject Author Posted

dealing with motion

jill April 28, 2005 10:47AM

Re: dealing with motion

Gang Chen May 03, 2005 11:46AM

Re: dealing with motion

Philip Burton May 03, 2005 01:26PM