AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
May 09, 2005 12:51PM
It is possible that I will make the move to full NIfTI-ization in AFNI. However, before I can even consider making this momentous conversion, I need to do several things, including

(a) finalize the structure and code for storing AFNI-specific information into a NIfTI-1.1 header extension (this step is easy, and half done already);

(b) make sure that the NIfTI-1.1 reading code works well in AFNI, especially when the datasets are oblique and/or have non-orthogonal axes (this step is hard, since it requires thinking about coordinate systems, which makes my brain hurt -- I am not a natural born geometer);

(c) consider how to support (if at all) the more complex NIfTI-1.1 datasets, such as vector-valued time series, matrix-valued datasets, datasets with statistics whose parameters (e.g., DOF) varies with voxel, and so forth -- all things that AFNI doesn't allow at present.

Note that you can use almost any AFNI '3d' program now to write out a NIfTI-1.1 dataset (including to3d), if you just end the new dataset's prefix with '.nii' or '.nii.gz'. However, since step (a) is not yet finished, some specific AFNI attributes stored in a .HEAD file will not survive this process (e.g., 3dvolreg parameters, history note, Talairach markers, ID codes).

Subject Author Posted

NIfTI format

sally durgerian May 09, 2005 09:49AM

Re: NIfTI format

Robert Cox May 09, 2005 12:51PM

Re: NIfTI format

sally durgerian May 10, 2005 10:23AM