AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
bob cox
November 09, 2005 02:05PM
The zombies are probably happening from the version check procedure, which spawns a sub-process to check the Web site back here to see if you are up-to-date. I've not seen this problem on other systems, since I use fork() twice to try to avoid zombie-fication. However, I've modified the version check function again to try to minimize this issue for you. The new binaries will be compiled tonight. Also, you can disable AFNI version checking by setting environment variable AFNI_VERSION_CHECK to NO (i.e., just say NO to zombies).

Version checking in a few of the major programs was added because I'm sick of answering questions from people using way out-of-date software.

The AFNI image viewer losing contact with the mouse is an issue I've got on my list of things to explore. It seems to happen reliably (here at least) if you

(a) open the "Switch Underlay" chooser before the splash screen pops down
(b) BUT don't "Set" the chooser until after the splash down, and
(c) THEN you open the image window and move it on the screen, and
(d) THEN switch the underlay again without using any controls in the image viewer, and
(e) NOW the image viewer won't respond to the mouse.

I don't know what causes this "Mr Freeze" problem -- the X11 graphics server and AFNI seem to have lost their connection. One way to avoid this particular instance of the problem is to set environment variable AFNI_SPLASHTIME to 1.0 (say), which means that the splash window will go away in 1 second, which is probably too fast for you to do anything. Another way to get around this bug is to close the image viewer (using the window manager X button, or whatever other tools are at hand) and reopen it -- the new image viewer should work fine then. At least it always does for me.
Subject Author Posted

AFNI spawning zombie processes

KS Gopinath November 09, 2005 01:30PM

Re: AFNI spawning zombie processes

bob cox November 09, 2005 02:05PM

Re: AFNI spawning zombie processes

KS Gopinath November 09, 2005 02:17PM