AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
Oori
December 10, 2005 02:20PM
Hi All,

I've searched the board for a discussion on this point but couldn't find one -- excuse me if this has been hashed out.

I am analyzing a contrast between two experimental conditions and using Alphasim to find reliable clusters. When the single voxel threshold is set relatively high, say p < .0001, reliable clusters are at least 4 voxels large, and there are a few of those. When the single voxel threshold is set to p < .01, reliable clusters are at least 50 voxels large, and there are a few of those as well. (Both analyses equally control for whole-brain alpha at p < .05)

Now, in certain regions the two types of clusters overlap (i.e., the small clusters fall within the larger ones), but in others they don't. I feel that choosing one analysis over is a mistake as this provides a skewed view of the data.

But, if I report both, should I control for "multiple tests"? I theory, I could have systematically iterated through 20 single voxel thresholds and examined the results.

Related, some permutation methods use "cluster mass" as a statistic rather than cluster size. That is, from the simulations they construct a distribution of a statistic that reflects [cluster size * mean_voxel_intensity_in_cluster] (say for all clusters greater than 3 voxels at voxel threshold p < .05). With cluster mass, small clusters that are highly reliable have the same mass as larger clusters where voxels are less reliable, and so such statistic could simultaneously select for both sorts of clusters that I find using alphasim.

Any possibility of extracting this statistic from Alphasim? I suppose 3dclust could then be used to extract clusters whose mass is above the threshold.

Cheers,

Uri

Subject Author Posted

Solutions for choosing voxel threshold in Alphsim?

Oori December 10, 2005 02:20PM

Re: Solutions for choosing voxel threshold in Alphsim?

Donald McLaren December 10, 2005 03:28PM

Re: Solutions for choosing voxel threshold in Alphsim?

Gang Chen December 13, 2005 11:28AM