AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
March 03, 2008 02:05PM
I have recently compared the spatial normalization using @auto_tlrc in AFNI, the manual marker placement in AFNI, and the normalization in SPM5 on a random sample of older (65-85 y.o.) subjects T1 anatomy. It appears that the SPM5 auto normalization algorithm provides a surprisingly accurate warp in most cases (qualitatively better than @auto_tlrc in this random sample of elderly). Perhaps one difference is that SPM5 is performing a higher order warp (although I don't know for sure). Because I am new to the automated methods in AFNI, perhaps there are settings that I'm not aware of that will allow for a higher order warp that may produce more accurate results. I didn't see anything in the @auto_tlrc manual.

I also realize that a higher order warp can produce other non-optimal warping artifacts. I know nothing will put every gyrus and subcortical nucleus in the exact same place (especially in this highly variable sample of subjects) but am just trying to find some settings in AFNI's automated toolbox that will rival the SPM5 results.

By the way, the manual warping in AFNI works great on all subjects and appears to be more reliable across subjects than the SPM5 algorithm.

Subject Author Posted

+orig after preprocessing with SPM?

barbara Cerf-Ducastel April 23, 2007 05:00PM

Re: +orig after preprocessing with SPM?

ziad April 24, 2007 09:09AM

barbara Cerf-Ducastel April 24, 2007 06:25PM

Guofan April 25, 2007 12:27PM

Quality of Warping between SPM & AFNI

Guofan April 25, 2007 12:38PM

Re: Quality of Warping between SPM & AFNI