AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
October 25, 2007 01:56PM
Hi Rick or Gang,

I couldn't find an answer to this specific question in the archives. I have gone through all the RSFgen steps and found the optimal sequence timing for my study. My issue is that the optimal sequences contain a few ISIs upwards of 30 seconds. This is presumably because there are only a few, long stimuli per run (20 seconds each). Thus, RSFgen ends up having large clumps of jitter especially if it puts some trials back-to-back.

Decreasing the *total* amount of jitter produces less optimal sequences (less power). The question I have is whether really long ISIs (longer than a return to baseline would take) make any psychological sense. Is there a reason why these long ISI's are, in fact, related optimally to power? The only thing I can think of is that sticking a couple of long ones in a run decreases expectancy effects and thus expectancy-related noise. Is RSFgen designed with such cognitive processes in mind? If BOLD is roughly constant after 20 seconds post stimulus, can I just shorten the long ISI's to that amount?

From previous (year old) posts it appears I can't specify a maximum ISI in RSFgen-- still true?

Thanks!
Thalia
Subject Author Posted

RSFgen -- Long ISIs

Thalia Wheatley October 25, 2007 01:56PM

Re: RSFgen -- Long ISIs

rick reynolds October 26, 2007 01:16PM

Gang Chen October 26, 2007 01:33PM

Thalia Wheatley October 27, 2007 09:51AM