AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
January 03, 2008 04:11PM
Hello,

A paper by Randy Buckner et al (NeuroImage, Vol 23, 2004, pp724-738) indicates that it is possible to quickly estimate total intracranial volume (eTIV) based on the "Atlas Scaling Factor" required to perform the transformation of a subject's scan to match a specific atlas.

In the blog entry "Storage of Talairach Transformation"
RW Cox writes:
"You could extract the 360 numbers from the WARP_DATA field using the command
3dAttribute WARP_DATA anat+tlrc
for example -- this writes to stdout, which I suppose you could pipe into another program to calculate the determinants you want. "

Question: would calculating the determinant of this afni talairach transform matrix provide an equivalent "atlas scaling factor" with which I could calculate eTIV for our subjects? The Freesurfer program estimates total intracranial volume (eTIV) in the Buckner et al (2004) manner. Essentially, I'm interested in comparing the "atlas scaling factor" from the AFNI talairach transform to the scaling factor generated in the equivalent Freesurfer atlas transform. I appreciate any suggestions you have.

Thanks much,
Paul

Subject Author Posted

estimated total intracranial volume

Paul Greenberg January 03, 2008 04:11PM

Re: estimated total intracranial volume

bob cox January 04, 2008 08:37AM