AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
February 08, 2008 12:39PM
Hello,

I am running an experimental paradigm where the subject decides how long a visual stimulus is going to persist on the screen on a trial-by-trial basis, usually from a minimum of 3 s to a maximum of 30 s.
I wish to use a separate regressor for each event. I first ran 3dDeconvolve using:

-stim_times 1 '1D: 15' 'BLOCK(13.7,1)' -stim_label s1
-stim_times 2 '1D: 45' 'BLOCK(6.4,1)' -stim_label s2
-stim_times 3 '1D: 75' 'BLOCK(5.5,1)' -stim_label s3
-stim_times 4 '1D: 105' 'BLOCK(3,1)' -stim_label s4

and so on. Then I realized that the instruction 'BLOCK(time,1)' forces the peak value of the basis function to be 1 and therefore the beta weights are affected by the duration of the stimuli. Therefore, I ran another ANOVA identical to the first except for the ",1" option, in order to obtain "comparable" beta weights between events of different durations:

-stim_times 1 '1D: 15' 'BLOCK(13.7)' -stim_label s1
-stim_times 2 '1D: 45' 'BLOCK(6.4)' -stim_label s2
-stim_times 3 '1D: 75' 'BLOCK(5.5)' -stim_label s3
-stim_times 4 '1D: 105' 'BLOCK(3)' -stim_label s4

However, I obtain exactly the same results as with BLOCK(time,1). What's wrong either in my analysis or in my understanding of the option BLOCK(.)?

Thank you very much for your help,

Silvia
Subject Author Posted

basis function peak

Silvia Casarotto February 08, 2008 12:39PM

Re: basis function peak

Gang Chen February 08, 2008 01:20PM

Silvia Casarotto February 11, 2008 04:23AM

Gang Chen February 11, 2008 11:28AM