AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
November 06, 2008 01:11PM
Hello,

I have a question about statistical power in an event-related experiment. In the experiment we blocked trials of a particular condition together, but within that block the trials were presented in an event-related manner (jittered with baseline trials).

In our experiment there were 8 conditions. We split the trials for each condition into 2 10-trials blocks so that we could randomize the conditions better across the 4 experimental runs. For example,

Run1: cond1a, cond8b, cond4b, cond6a
Run2: cond7a, cond2b, cond3a, cond5b
Run3: cond8a, cond5a, cond7b, cond6b
Run4: cond2a, cond1b, cond3b, cond4a

My question is: Assuming that the number of useable trials (e.g., 13/20 trials) was equal across conditions, would it matter if in some conditions the useable trials were more spaced out and in other conditions the useable trials were more clumped together?

Would my statistical power be higher when the trials are more clumped together that when they are more spaced out?

A reviewer has suggested that because 1) I blocked trials into the 10-trial blocks (and did not do a completely randomized design) and 2) in some conditions trials were more spaced out than in other conditions, that the clumped together conditions have more statistical power than the spaced out conditions.

This doesn’t make sense to me because I thought that spaced out might actually let you model the HRF better than clumped together.

Any advice or references to what the reviewer might be talking about are appreciated.

Thank you,

Christine
Subject Author Posted

statistical power in a mixed event-related design

Christine Smith November 06, 2008 01:11PM

Re: statistical power in a mixed event-related design

Gang Chen November 10, 2008 09:12AM

Re: statistical power in a mixed event-related design

John Ollinger November 10, 2008 09:51AM