AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
November 24, 2008 02:18PM
The "scaled shorts" format (hardly original with me) is not to save CPU time but to save disk space and memory space when a time series is read in from disk. These considerations were important back in the good olde days of the mid-1990s, when AFNI first started.

I'd consider make the default output format for the various programs be float, but this might break some scripts out there. I'd like to hear some debate on the issue before making such a non-backwards-compatible change. Generally, I like to keep the software's default operation mode be the same, for the sake of all the users out there who have their standardized ways of doing things.

In some cases, I have made such changes that break consistency. For example, when I discovered (in Nov 2006) a logical error in the way 3dFHWM used the -mask option, I fixed that -- which meant that the results of this program would not be the same when run on identical inputs (that is, the before and after the program versions would give different outputs). I flagged this in the -help output in case someone would get confused.

Subject Author Posted

3dANOVA3 scale to shorts warning

Paul Hamilton November 18, 2008 01:30PM

Re: 3dANOVA3 scale to shorts warning

Bob Cox November 18, 2008 02:20PM

Paul Hamilton November 18, 2008 02:31PM

Bob Cox November 18, 2008 03:40PM

Paul Hamilton November 18, 2008 04:18PM