AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
Michael
January 08, 2009 01:35PM
Hello,

I have a question about when to do contrast during analysis.

Within one functional scan we have two conditions/stimuli, A and B.

It seems we have two options:

1) We could run a simple glt contrast (1 -1) at the individual subject level with 3dDeconvolve. We could then pull out the intensity difference between the betas at each voxel, warp them to tlrc space and run a one-sample t-test across subjects with those differenced intensity values

or

2). Pull out the betas for each condition after running 3dDeconvolve at the individual subject level, warp them to tlrc space and run a paired t-test across subjects between conditions A an B.

It seems that it should produce the same result (or not?). However, i tried both methods. The Activation maps look quite similar i most areas in the brain, but they are not exactly the same. And in some areas of the brain there are noticeable cluster size differences when comparing the activation maps resulting from carrying out the two methods described above.

My question is, which method is the better approach. Is there any evidence in the literature to suggest which method is better? Your help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael
Subject Author Posted

when to do Contrasts?

Michael January 08, 2009 01:35PM

Re: when to do Contrasts?

Gang Chen January 08, 2009 03:14PM

Re: when to do Contrasts?

Michael January 09, 2009 11:41AM