AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
January 13, 2009 02:11PM
I recently realized that GCC 4.2 on Mac OS X 10.5 supports OpenMP, a relatively easy-to-use parallelization (multiple CPU threading) paradigm. I have started using OpenMP, firstly in program 3dAllineate.

As a result, anyone attempting to compile against the Makefiles
  Makefile.macosx_10.5_Intel
  Makefile.macosx_10.5_Intel_64
will need to do one of the following
(a) delete the OpenMP special compilation line in the Makefile.* file -- the line starting with 'CCOMP ='
**OR**
(b) switch from using the default GCC 4.0 to GCC 4.2, by changing the symbolic link that defines 'gcc' in /usr/bin to point to gcc-4.2 instead of gcc-4.0, as in
  cd /usr/bin
  sudo rm gcc
  sudo ln -s gcc-4.2 gcc

The corresponding 3dAllineate binaries in the AFNI distributions are now compiled with OpenMP. The program runs somewhat faster with the default settings on my machine, but your results may vary.

I would also like to use OpenMP to speed up 3dREMLfit, but have been unable to get any decent results there so far, for reasons that I don't understand.

Subject Author Posted

Mac OS X 10.5 - Intel - OpenMP

Bob Cox January 13, 2009 02:11PM

Re: Mac OS X 10.5 - Intel - OpenMP

Giuseppe Pagnoni April 22, 2009 06:09PM

Re: Mac OS X 10.5 - Intel - OpenMP

Daniel Glen April 22, 2009 06:18PM

Re: Mac OS X 10.5 - Intel - OpenMP: builds fine but crashes

Giuseppe Pagnoni April 23, 2009 03:36AM

Daniel Glen April 23, 2009 09:07AM