AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
April 20, 2009 10:16AM
Hi,

I've always believed that it's necessary to replicate the design of an experiment in every run of a scanning session, given the problem of scanner drift across runs. For example, if an experiment has a 2x2 design, then all 4 conditions should be included in every run, to help minimize problems with drift.

Some colleagues have suggested to me that replicating all conditions in each run is not necessary for 2 reasons. First, the polart function removes drift within a run. Second, converting to percent signal change removes differences between runs. Once these two steps have been taken, the runs have been equated in terms of average BOLD intensity.

I realize that there are behavioral reasons for why one might want to include every condition in every run (e.g., adaptation, fatigue, learning to learn, etc.). In some experiments, however, it's desirable to have some conditions come after others to minimize demand, mask manipulations, etc., such that different runs might contain different conditions.

For the sake of my continuing education, and for the design suggestions I give others, I'm interested to know whether my colleagues' argument is correct. Does applying the polart function and computing percent signal change completely remove the problem of scanner drift? Or are there additional factors associated with scanner drift that the polart function and percent signal change fail to control?

Much thanks in advance for your advice!

Best regards, Larry Barsalou

Subject Author Posted

scanner drift and experiment design

Larry Barsalou April 20, 2009 10:16AM

Re: scanner drift and experiment design

Gang Chen April 21, 2009 12:02PM

Re: scanner drift and experiment design

Pat Bedard April 22, 2009 02:52PM