AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
September 10, 2009 07:12PM
Hi AFNI gurus, I am new to fMRI and event-related design and would like to ask a design question. So, if I understand correctly an ideal design would randomize the stimuli (events) and also have an ideal ISI. My question is regarding a task in which each trial is composed of 3 stimuli, and there can be a total of 6 different trial types, so 18 separate events. Each of the 3 stimuli in a particular trial would follow each other in the same order (A, B, C), but the different trial types would be randomized. Thus, I would have something like this:

(A, B, C) ITI (D, E, F) ITI (G, H, I) ITI (J, K, L) ITI (M, N, O) ITI (P, Q, R) ITI (D, E, F) ITI (J, K, L) ITI (A, B, C)….etc.

I am interested in performing contrasts between A and J for example, but not between the 3 stimuli within a trial. Thus, when we speak of ISI and choosing the ideal time, is it between any stimuli within the entire task (e.g. A and B, M and N, etc.) or is it the ISI between the exact same stimulus (e.g. A and A) that will be deconvolved? Also, in this case, what would be the role of the ITI? I guess, I’m just getting confused between ISI and ITI, since I have heard them used interchangeably, but that doesn’t make sense to me.

Thanks for clarifying!

Anita

Subject Author Posted

ISI vs. ITI in event-related design

Anita Cservenka September 10, 2009 07:12PM

Re: ISI vs. ITI in event-related design

Pat Bedard September 14, 2009 03:01PM

Re: ISI vs. ITI in event-related design

Rasmus Birn September 16, 2009 12:05PM