AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
November 04, 2009 03:33PM
I don't see why a high order polynomial is objectionable per se.

Would you object to a series of sines and cosines? Legendre polynomials are well behaved -- we don't use x^0, x^1, x^2, ... , x^10 for a set of functions, for example -- that would be bad.

1) Scanners do drift with long acquisitions, particularly because of heating from the gradient currents. This effect can be noticeable, and we used to have big problem with this on our scanners until GE put in a software fix. Now it's a smaller problem -- but still there. I don't think SNR changes much with time, but the image can become slightly distorted, for example. No citation, though.

2) If you model 25 min as separate runs (say 5x5 min), then you are going to use 2 or 3 polynomials per run, and then allow for possible discontinuities between runs. Since there are unlikely to be such discontinuities, then the baseline model actually would contain degrees of freedom that wouldn't be used. As long as you are careful to split the runs smack in the middle of the control task, then you could probably get away with the analysis. It would be interesting to compare the results to the analysis just using -polort 10, though. Probably not very large, I'd think.

3) Unless you have a task that requires a long run, I don't see why a run of more than 10 minutes would be used.
Subject Author Posted

question about long runs

Anthony November 04, 2009 12:29PM

Re: question about long runs

bob cox November 04, 2009 03:33PM

Anthony November 05, 2009 01:53PM

rick reynolds November 05, 2009 02:05PM