AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
bob cox
March 05, 2010 09:32AM
At least one reason /dev/fd0 won't work with .1D input files is that there is special code for reading from stdin -- normally, the way a 1D file is read is it is first scanned to see how many numbers there are in each row, then it is rewound and the input is started over to actually save the results into the output array.

Later, I wrote a new function that works specifically with stdin (which can't be rewound). This function has various limitations that the generic function doesn't -- for example, it doesn't support [...] and {...} column and row selectors, or the '5@3.2' shorthand notation for 5 copies of 3.2.

You CAN use 'stdin' (instead of /dev/fd0) as the filename to read from standard input -- this is the generic AFNI way of specifying a 1D file to be read from a pipe -- but you still can't use column selectors on it, as you need. That could be added, but not today as I have to prepare for a presentation I'm giving early next week, and I'm already beginning to panic panic panic!
Subject Author Posted

1dplot won't open the file /dev/fd/0

Terry March 04, 2010 08:07PM

Re: 1dplot won't open the file /dev/fd/0

bob cox March 05, 2010 09:32AM

bob cox March 05, 2010 03:46PM

Terry March 09, 2010 02:07AM

bob cox March 05, 2010 03:50PM