AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
March 16, 2010 11:41AM
OK, after pulling out a significant fraction of the limited amount of hair remaining to me, 3dREMLfit will now accept all zero columns, if you use the -GOFORIT option.

Even with pure OLSQ, there will be slight differences between the 3dREMLfit and 3dDeconvolve results in the same case. These are

* 3dREMLfit adjusts the degrees of freedom so as not to count all zero columns as "real" regressors -- this has the effect of slightly boosting F and t statistics.

* The numerical algorithm used to patch the matrix singularity problem is somewhat different than used in 3dDeconvolve (since the numerical linear algebra in the 2 programs is considerably different at the basic algorithm level), and so the numbers will vary slightly from this cause -- which should in itself be a tiny effect.

* However, if you compare 3dREMLfit GLSQ output with the all zero column included, and then remove the column and repeat the analysis, you will also find a few voxels that are slightly different. These alterations are due to the (a,b) parameters being estimated slightly differently in these few voxels, where the log likelihood function doesn't depend strongly on (a,b). In my test case, this effect was minor. This effect can be further minimized at the cost of CPU time by using the '-Grid 5' option, which uses a finer grid for the estimation of the (a,b) parameters for each voxel. Personally, I wouldn't bother -- the run time about doubled in my test case when using '-Grid 5'.

The changes are now in the AFNI source code. All binaries will be recompiled tonight, and be available by St Patrick's Day. Black and Tans, anyone?
Subject Author Posted

3dReMLfit with all zero columns

Thalia Wheatley March 08, 2010 10:10AM

Re: 3dReMLfit with all zero columns

bob cox March 11, 2010 11:10AM

bob cox March 11, 2010 07:10PM

Ziad Saad March 11, 2010 10:04PM

Colm Connolly March 12, 2010 01:19PM