AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
March 23, 2010 04:25PM
Dear AFNI fans,

I often calculate correlation (fico) datasets and like to explore how the correlation changes with different ROIs. My procedure is the usual steps:
1. Draw the ROI using "Draw Dataset" plugin
2. Create the average ROI time course with "ROI Average" plugin
3. Load the time course using "Pick Ideal" from the FIM menu in AFNIs graph window
4. Select FIM -> Compute FIM -> fico from the graph window
5. Load the newly created fico dataset as overlay

This procedure works fine, but it's tedious and time consuming especially if you want to make lots of small changes to the ROI (grow/shrink/shift ROI slightly).

So, I'm wondering if there is a faster way to update the overlay of fico results in the AFNI window. I know steps 2-4 could be executed from a command line script which would save time, but the most time consuming step is 1. Ideally, I'd like the following to happen "on the fly"
a) A spherical ROI (of custom radius) is centered at the origin of the cross-hairs
b) The average time course of voxels in the ROI is computed (and possibly smoothed)
c) A fico dataset is computed with the new time course, and the overlay is updated accordingly

Each time the cross-hairs move to a new location, steps a)-c) execute immediately, automatically. The ROI in step a) is "temporary" and does not need to be saved, but it would be nice to see it in overlay (perhaps an overlay on a T1 anatomical image). Naturally there would be a few seconds delay while the processing takes place.

Is it possible to do this, or something similar, already? It would be great to hear any tips on how to achieve this procedure as closely as possible!

Thanks so much and best wishes,
Bryce
Subject Author Posted

Is there a fast way to explore 'fico' results with "moving" ROIs?

Bryce Wilkins March 23, 2010 04:25PM

Re: Is there a fast way to explore 'fico' results with "moving" ROIs?

rick reynolds March 23, 2010 04:52PM

Re: Is there a fast way to explore 'fico' results with "moving" ROIs?

Bryce Wilkins March 23, 2010 05:19PM