AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
September 10, 2013 05:40PM
Hi Matt,

I've found the bug, but I'll need some time pondering the solution.

> This seems to be working by using the groups as a covariate. In this situation,
> I would use -set instead of -groups, yes?

That's right. You pretend there is only one group of subjects.

> Also, how would I model the interaction? I had originally coded gender as 0 or 1
> (same with group). In order to do what you say, would I need to code it as 1 and 2
> or just code the interaction (for instance, SCZ males and CON females as one
> number and SCZ females and CON males as another)?

There are many (actually infinite) ways to code the factors, but 0/1 or -1/1 are the popular ones. With 0/1 coding, read the section How to use 3dMEMA to handle multiple groups on webpage [afni.nimh.nih.gov]

Actually if you just want to control for the sex effect, you may want to code the sexes with -1/1 coding (without centering).

> I thought determining the mean of gender within the group was necessary.
> The value above 0.5 means that there are slightly more males in each group.

That would lead to interpreting the intercept as the average of all subjects, not really the group average, which might be fine for you. However, the intended difference for the two sexes would not be the real sex difference, contradicting the purpose of obtaining the contrast between the two sexes.

> If I didn't want to center the covariates, I would use -covariates_center gender = 0, correct?

That's right.

Gang

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2013 09:42AM by Gang.
Subject Author Posted

3dMEMA Cov Error

Liat February 14, 2011 06:48AM

Re: 3dMEMA Cov Error

Gang Chen February 14, 2011 09:27AM

Liat February 14, 2011 11:29AM

Matt Schroeder September 09, 2013 05:54PM

gang September 10, 2013 10:02AM