AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
February 08, 2012 08:49AM
The "version date" is only really useful for the automatic version checking in AFNI (done once per week when the AFNI GUI starts, or when the user manually runs the afni_vcheck program). When the version date on the web site doesn't match the compiled-in version date, then a warning is flashed to the user as AFNI starts. I update the version date about every 6 months, so to remind people to update their AFNI binaries every so often.

The compile date is the latest and (presumably) greatest edition, and as such should be the actual criterion for updating. However, I don't want to hit people with dire sounding warning message about "out of date" versions so often, since some users tend to panic when they see any kind of warning or error message. So I settled on 6 months as a reasonable intermediate point for prompting people to update -- by then, usually a number of significant changes have accumulated.

But the nearly-weekly binary updates can be important, especially when bug fixes are implemented and the bugs are something that affects YOU (or your users). We don't have a fixed release schedule, and when a new feature is added or a bug is fixed, new binaries are built.
Subject Author Posted

compile date vs version date?

Susan Chacko February 07, 2012 10:15AM

Re: compile date vs version date?

Ziad February 07, 2012 07:02PM

bob cox February 08, 2012 08:49AM

Susan Chacko February 14, 2012 11:57AM