AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
July 26, 2012 06:39PM
Hi again,

The strange mask resampling issue ended up on the back burner because the datasets did look like they were in the right place, but I just discovered a much more problematic variation of this discrepancy in an actual subject's data, and I'm still trying to make sure that my fix won't break anything else. This subject's dataset origin is way off in the wrong place, causing @auto_tlrc to fail. I want to use @Align_Centers to fix this, and I can, but it warns me not to use the -no_cp option unless I understand what I'm doing. Since this is the second time I've encountered this problem (and I'm suddenly suspicious that it's actually responsible for another alignment issue I ran across some time ago), I want to make sure I figure out what's going on.

In this latest case, as in the other case, IJK_TO_DICOM_REAL agrees with DELTA, ORIGIN and ORIENT_SPECIFIC while IJK_TO_DICOM does not. Is there any circumstance where it is correct for a plumb dataset to have
                [[  dx   0   0  x0  ]
IJK_TO_DICOM !=  [   0  dy   0  y0  ]
                 [   0   0  dz  z0  ]]
(where dx, dy and dz are interpreted with the appropriate signs)?

Additionally, I don't understand why @Align_Centers is dangerous to use repeatedly, since it seems like every invocation after the first will simply leave the datasets more or less unchanged (and in my testing the second invocation yielded a 1.0e-5 mm nudge). Does the warning just mean "don't use this unless you know how to fix any mistakes you might make"?

Isaac

EDIT: I tried poking around a bit and discovered that a) the difference between IJK_TO_DICOM and IJK_TO_DICOM_REAL is not what's causing my problem, since 3dcopy-ing the dataset overwrites the former with the latter, and the dataset doesn't look any different in AFNI (which means that AFNI is ignoring IJK_TO_DICOM, at least on this dataset). Also, except for one subject's anatomical that's been through 3dAllineate, all of the IJK_TO_DICOM fields in all of the subjects' T1 images are
                [[  0.9375       0       0    -120  ]
IJK_TO_DICOM ==  [       0  0.9375       0    -120  ]
                 [       0       0  0.9375    -120  ]]
while a representative IJK_TO_DICOM_REAL would be
                     [[   0.9374902           0           0     -119.53  ]
IJK_TO_DICOM_REAL ==  [           0   0.9374902           0     -119.53  ]
                      [           0           0         1.2      -73.21  ]]
Huh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2012 07:14PM by Isaac Schwabacher.
Subject Author Posted

3dcalc template space warning and .HEAD attributes

Isaac Schwabacher July 10, 2012 03:38PM

Re: 3dcalc template space warning and .HEAD attributes

rick reynolds July 11, 2012 10:29AM

Isaac Schwabacher July 11, 2012 11:34AM

Isaac Schwabacher July 26, 2012 06:39PM

@Align_Centers frowns at symlinks.

Isaac Schwabacher July 26, 2012 07:34PM