AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
May 24, 2013 02:04PM
> Gang, what do you mean by the 'effect of covariate'?

What I mean by covariate effect is the parameter 'b' (or slope) in the model

y = a + b * x + e

And it indicates the amount of response (y) per unit of the covariate (x).

> As far as I understood, the sub-brick with the covariate shows results with a covaried variable controlled for.

I'm not so sure what you mean by that. If you're looking for the group average effect while controlling the covariate at a specific value (e.g., mean), then that would be the parameter 'a' (intercept or constant) *if* you center the covariate properly.

> So, for example, if I want to compare two groups with and without depression,
> the first two sub-bricks would tell me the difference between the two groups
> and the other two sub-bricks would shown me the results if I take the impact
> of depression out... Is that correct?

I've only focused on the discussion so far for the case with only *one* group of subjects. With two or more groups, the situation is slightly more complicated because of the centering issue and the complication of whether the two groups have the same or different covariate effect.

There is a brief coverage of the subtle issues in the group analysis part for the AFNI workshop:

[afni.nimh.nih.gov]

When a covariate is modeled, I don't think that it's an accurate description to state that one can "take the impact of the covariate out" even though such a statement seems to be prevalent. More specifically, there are two goals in covariate modeling: 1) It is not to take out the covariate effect, but instead to control for the covariate variability and interpret the group effect at a *specific* covariate value. 2) Sometimes one is interested in the covariate effect itself.

> since Jessica is talking about connectivity, the output is interpreted differently?

Connectivity measure or brain response, that is just the variable y in the model, and the subtleties remain the same.

Gang

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2013 02:07PM by Gang.
Subject Author Posted

regression with covariates

Anonymous User May 21, 2013 11:28AM

Re: regression with covariates

gang May 21, 2013 11:50AM

Anonymous User May 21, 2013 01:11PM

gang May 21, 2013 01:46PM

Peter Molfese May 21, 2013 04:00PM