AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
June 05, 2015 02:29PM
Dear Gang and the AFNI experts,

This question concerns usage of 3dMVM, so I assume that it should be directed at Gang.

I'm interested in running ANCOVA, with 1 between-subjects factor (group, two levels) and 1 within-subjects factor (condition, three levels), and age as a covariate. I am interested in the group x condition interaction. I have two questions about this.

1. I am including age as a covariate because my groups differ in age, and I'd like to account in the model for linear effects of age, which are not of interest for our research question. I see on the 3dMVM help page (http://afni.nimh.nih.gov/pub/dist/doc/program_help/3dMVM.html) stated "However EXTREME caution should be taken when the groups differ significantly in the average value of the covariate." This confuses me, isn't the purpose of including a covariate often to account for variance in the model for relations/differences in a continuous variable of non-interest?

2. I've set up the 3dMVM commandline as follows:
3dMVM -prefix 3dmvm_output -jobs 12 -bsVars "group+age" -wsVars "condition" -qVars "age" @mvm_table.txt > 3dmvm_script_output.txt
First, please let me know if I'm using this command in an incorrect manner. My main question is: once using the AFNI viewer to the inspect 3dmvm_output, I see a subbrick that was automatically (i.e., i didn't have to specify a specific f-test) computed called "group:condition F". What do I set as the OLay and the Thr in order to have appropriate p-values computed on a voxel-wise basis in the viewer?

3. An unrelated question, is there an AFNI tool that can strip the cerebellum and brainstem from a high-res T1-weighted image?

Thank you for your help!

Matthew
Subject Author Posted

Questions about 3dMVM

Matthew_2 June 05, 2015 02:29PM

Re: Questions about 3dMVM

gang June 05, 2015 05:16PM

Matthew_2 June 09, 2015 01:25PM

gang June 10, 2015 10:43AM