AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
June 09, 2015 01:25PM
Hi Gang,

Thank you for your message, very interesting and helpful.

Regarding modeling our data using 3dMVM with a covariate: our groups have a difference in age (t-test p = 0.0457; M/SD/min/max, GRP1 = 30.2/11.2/18.9/52.1, GRP2 = 38.1/9.4/22.8/51.1). Based on your webpage on covariates and centering it seems that best would have been to recruit groups that did not differ by age. Since I cannot go back to recruitment, it seems that at a minimum I can try modeling the interaction of age with the variables of interest (group). If I see no interaction effects then I can go back to not modeling the interaction. It may also be helpful that my groups are not extremely different in age, and also that a similar range was sampled.

Thus, I think this may be the best option:
3dMVM -prefix 3dmvm_output -jobs 12 -bsVars "group*age" -wsVars "condition" -qVars "age" @mvm_table.txt > 3dmvm_script_output.txt
This is the same model I was running before, but including interaction term between age and group. I can check the results of this and see if the interaction is picking up variance, and if it is, keep it, if not, then remove it from the model.

With that said, your covariate/centering website I see that it is actually not a good idea to model covariates when they differ across groups, as this violates the assumption of ANCOVA that the covariate is independent of the subject-grouping variable. With this in mind I am no longer sure how to proceed, as it seems like a fundamental violation that could lead to misinterpretation or misleading conclusions from the resultant model.

What do you advise in my situation?

Thank you,

Matthew
Subject Author Posted

Questions about 3dMVM

Matthew_2 June 05, 2015 02:29PM

Re: Questions about 3dMVM

gang June 05, 2015 05:16PM

Matthew_2 June 09, 2015 01:25PM

gang June 10, 2015 10:43AM