AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
November 19, 2015 02:13PM
There are two "popular" pipelines for using surfaces. The first, which is what I think you're talking about, is to process your data in the volume (afni_proc.py recommended) and then visualize the results on the surfaces. This makes use of traditional processing techniques like smoothing in the volume, and can use 3dQwarp for nonlinear registration.

The second approach is to process each participant's data on the surface early on. This requires that you run freesurfer on each individual subject in your study. If you are using afni_proc.py, you can add the "-surf" block to processing and it will take care of registering your EPI data with the surfaces.

It sounds like you want to use the first approach, or possibly a hybrid of the two. For the first, approach I would do the following:

1) Take your MNI template and process it through freesurfer (recon-all)
2) Run @SUMA_Make_Spec_FS on your output freesurfer directory (optional but recommended -GIFTI flag)
3) Process your data in the volume, registering the data to the Skull-stripped MNI template you supplied to Freesurfer (again I would suggest afni_proc.py)
4) Perform group analysis using one of the 3d programs (e.g. 3dttest++)
5) Display the results in both the volume and surface by doing the following:
A. Load MNI template underlay and statistics overlay in AFNI (start AFNI with -niml flag)
B. Load SUMA with -spec and -sv from the created "SUMA" folder made by @SUMA_Make_Spec_FS (usually inside subjects directory with freesurfer results)
C. In SUMA, press the "t" key to talk to AFNI
D. Changing the visualized sub-bricks and threshold in AFNI will update the SUMA display.

Let me know if that's what you were looking for. I have a bit more written in a blog post here. But happy to clarify. The main reason to run MapIcosahedron, which is run by @SUMA_Make_Spec_FS, is to make standard surfaces for the second pipeline. Though you could use them for a variety of purposes.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2015 02:17PM by Peter Molfese.
Subject Author Posted

Using own MNI

kaseybrink November 12, 2015 03:55PM

Re: Using own MNI with SUMA

AjaySK November 16, 2015 04:12PM

Re: Using own MNI with SUMA

Peter Molfese November 17, 2015 11:08AM

Re: Using own MNI

rick reynolds November 17, 2015 01:25PM

AjaySK November 17, 2015 04:20PM