AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
October 15, 2020 11:05PM
Hi, Paul-

Thanks for the reply. That was a long post by me, I agree. Sorry about that :)

Q2: I had noticed the ~mm thing but I love these little tidbits about AFNI :) I think I agree with you that enorm does the job that it's supposed to be doing.

Q3: Partial volume effect was a concern for me as well, especially with this resolution. So, I am eroding the WM mask by -2 (3dmask_tool). I have attached a picture of this eroded WM mask with this message. There is not too much left, and perhaps it's an overkill with -2. Please let me know what you think. With this in mind, what do you think should be a reasonable radius for ANATICOR?

Q1: I am sorry I didn't explain it very well. There is a lot going on in those two figures. I will try to explain it a bit more. In the first figure with the matrices, column labeled ANATICOR represents the functional connectome (FC) when the data is processed with "just" ANATICOR. First, row is the FC while the second row is just the distribution of the correlation values in that FC. Now, the third column labeled wmpca3 for instance, corresponds to the pipeline where after ANATICOR, first 3 principal components of the WM signal are regressed out of the BOLD time-series before computing the connectome.

As for the second figure with the scatter plots, let's take the scatter plot in the 3rd column in the first row. It shows a scatter plot between correlation values of the FCs corresponding to the "just ANATICOR" pipeline vs the pipeline where after ANATICOR, first 5 principal components of the WM signal were also regressed out of the BOLD time-series.

DoF is definitely a concern. I am doing bandpass filtering using 3dTproject at the same time when I do all regressing out. The QC script does not detect the degrees related to bandpassing in this fashion. So, I have 320 time-points total (TR = 2.2 sec) and the QC script mostly shows that I am left with DoFs anywhere between 200-270 (approximately), after censoring and everything else. But, since I am also doing bandpass (0.01-0.1), I am actually loosing a lot more DoFs.

The main reason why I am doing bandpass filtering is to take care of the physiological noise (I don't have any physiological recordings) and so the reviewers won't hackle me :) Can you please give me a solid defense against this line of potential criticism against a reviewer? If yes, I would be happy to drop the bandpass filtering because I don't like this step much either, due to the fact that it costs so much DoF loss.

Thanks again for all your help!

Kausar
Attachments:
open | download - WM_eroded_mask.png (238.5 KB)
Subject Author Posted

ANATICOR, WM and motion regressors Attachments

kausar October 12, 2020 01:06PM

Re: ANATICOR, WM and motion regressors

kausar October 15, 2020 07:53PM

ptaylor October 15, 2020 09:00PM

Re: ANATICOR, WM and motion regressors Attachments

kausar October 15, 2020 11:05PM

rick reynolds October 16, 2020 03:16PM