History of AFNI updates  

|
March 22, 2021 10:07AM
Hi, Eric-

Are there some things missing from that command? I don't see an "-epi .." input, for example, and there are an odd number of double-quotes.

As an example, this is an example of align_epi_anat.py generated by afni_proc.py from the Bootcamp example in "AFNI_data6/FT/FT_analysis/":
# ================================= align ==================================
# for e2a: compute anat alignment transformation to EPI registration base
# (new anat will be intermediate, stripped, FT_anat_ns+orig)
align_epi_anat.py -anat2epi -anat FT_anat+orig   \
       -save_skullstrip -suffix _al_junk         \
       -epi vr_base_min_outlier+orig -epi_base 0 \
       -epi_strip 3dAutomask                     \
       -cost lpc+ZZ -giant_move -check_flip      \
       -volreg off -tshift off
... though perhaps you have based your own command on this?

That being, said, you mention that a "1D file" is output--- I had interpreted this as a "1D text file" of alignment parameters, but perhaps you mean a "3D volume" gets output, which is should with the specified suffix, because you juxtapose it with getting a 4D volumetric output? Could you please list the outputs you do get?

Note that EPI-anatomical alignment is a 3D volume to 3D volume procedure: one EPI volume gets picked out. Typically the "whole time series being aligned" procedure comes from 3dvolreg, aligning each EPI volume to a particular EPI volume (called the "base EPI" volume, chosen using a nice minimum-outlier criterion within afni_proc.py).

The 3dvolreg command is run separately, as is anatomical-to-template alignment, and all the alignment procedure outputs are concatenated before applying them as a single transform to the original EPI dset. A lot more about this procedure and these considerations are described in the AFNI Bootcamp videos on alignment:
[www.youtube.com]

Note that afni_proc.py handles *a lot* of this concatenation/etc. under the hood, and it is a really useful tool for designing a processing pipeline.

Please let me know if I have misunderstood the question here and waffled on needlessly (which is a distinct possibility...).

--pt
Subject Author Posted

align_epi_anat.py output 4D

ikbeneeneric March 22, 2021 08:48AM

Re: align_epi_anat.py output 4D

ptaylor March 22, 2021 09:23AM

ikbeneeneric March 22, 2021 09:47AM

ptaylor March 22, 2021 10:07AM

ikbeneeneric March 22, 2021 10:24AM