AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
November 16, 2021 05:25PM
Dear all,

I have calculated the correlation between 2 measurements/variables. The result of this correlation is a voxel-wise dataset that shows the correlation for each voxel in the brain. Furthermore, I use different ROIs in the brain.

What I would like to do now is to statistically compare if various correlations between different ROIs significantly differ. This means that I would like to compare different correlations. Let me provide you with an example:
- Does the (previously calculated) correlation of the 2 variables in ROIs 1 vs. 2 significantly differ vs. the correlation of both variables in ROI 3 vs. 4?

Consequently, three steps are required:
1. Calculate the correlation between ROI 1 and ROI 2.
2. Calculate the correlation between ROI 3 and ROI 4.
3. Now test if the two correlation results of both ROI comparisons differ significantly.

What would be the best AFNI program to perform these steps? I used 3dtcorrelate and 3dttest++, but it seems that something is wrong. I am breaking my head over this for hours now. For example, the correlation of ROI 1 and ROI 2 does not really overlap with the other correlation of ROI 3 and ROI 4. In this case, does it even make sense to compare the correlation in step 3 between the two correlations that I calculated in step 1 and 2? Is it logically reasonable? And is 3dttest++ the correct AFNI program to perform step 3?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to specify my question, or ask a bit of a different question. I think that would make things easier. The setup is as follows:
- The correlation between 2 variables was calculated. For each subject, I would have a file in AFNI format (BRIK and HEAD) that shows me the correlation for each voxel.
- This correlation between 2 variables was calculated via 3dTcorrelate for two different ROIs.

Would 3dttest++ be the appropriate tool to now calculate if there is a significant difference between both correlations, i.e., between correlation from ROI 1 and correlation from ROI 2? I wonder if my question is already ill-posed, especially when both ROIs show no real overlap in the brain.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2021 02:34AM by Philipp.
Subject Author Posted

Comparison between correlations and 3dttest++

Philipp November 16, 2021 05:25PM

Re: Comparison between correlations and 3dttest++

gang November 17, 2021 08:16AM

Philipp November 17, 2021 03:57PM

gang November 18, 2021 08:50AM