AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
February 17, 2023 02:47PM
Hi, Ian-

I think you will be happier with the full pythonic version, yes! But indeed, we need to fix that error message.

So, the default package manager in Ubuntu 20.04 (Aptitude) distributes a version of Matplotlib, 3.1.2, that contains this error when trying to make JPGs:
[bugs.launchpad.net]
I don't know why they haven't fixed it, and it is the root cause of the error here.

The good news: there is a fix. Can you please run the following on your computer (requires the admin/sudo password):
sudo apt-get install pip
sudo apt-get remove python3-matplotlib
pip install matplotlib

That should get you matplotlib ver=3.6.2 (or so), and Python can now generate JPG images. (Why Ubuntu didn't make the bug-free version of matplotlib its default... I don't know.)

If you want to test this fix without rerunning the full afni_proc.py command, you can do this:
Go into an afni_proc.py (AP) results directory, and do:
curl -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/afni/afni/master/src/ptaylor/supplement/redo_apqc.tcsh
tcsh redo_apqc.tcsh
... to regenerate the QC directory there. Under the 'mot' block, you should now see lots of line plots.

Please let me know how that goes.

--pt
Subject Author Posted

Matplotlib Error

brainboi February 17, 2023 01:47PM

Re: Matplotlib Error

ptaylor February 17, 2023 02:47PM

brainboi February 28, 2023 07:44PM

ptaylor March 01, 2023 09:34AM