AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
March 25, 2023 06:52AM
Dear all,

I would like to extract all regions of the auditory cortex from the HCP Glasser 360 atlas that is already contained in AFNI, that is, from the file "MNI_Glasser_HCP_v1.0.nii.gz" in AFNI’s abin folder. I am refering to all red colored regions in the Figure on the right here: [balsa.wustl.edu]

In their paper, Glasser et al. included the following regions for the early auditory cortex: "A1, LBelt (Lateral Belt), MBelt (Medial Belt), PBelt (Para-Belt), and the retro-insular cortex (RI)".

Paradigmatically, the script below extracts the left and right primary auditory cortex.
for roi in L_Primary_Auditory_Cortex R_Primary_Auditory_Cortex
do
3dcalc \
-a MNI_Glasser_HCP_v1.0.nii"<$roi>" \
-expr 'step(a)' \
-prefix Glasser_360_$ROI.nii
done

Now comes my AFNI related question: in the AFNI GUI, I can right click on the brain and select "where am I" to open a new window. This new window then shows me how the regions are really called in the "MNI_Glasser_HCP_v1.0.nii.gz" file, such as " L_Primary_Auditory_Cortex" for the left primary auditory cortex.

But isn't there an easier way, such as a list, that would show me all regions of the atlas and how they are called in the "MNI_Glasser_HCP_v1.0.nii.gz" file?
I found all regions listed above via "where am I". My question is really about if there is an easier way to do the same job in the future, e.g., with a different atlas, than manually searching the AFNI coded region names via where am I.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2023 07:05AM by Philipp.
Subject Author Posted

HCP Glasser 360 Atlas: Region extraction in AFNI

Philipp March 25, 2023 06:52AM

Re: HCP Glasser 360 Atlas: Region extraction in AFNI

ptaylor March 25, 2023 08:02AM

Philipp March 25, 2023 09:29AM

Daniel Glen March 27, 2023 11:33AM

Philipp March 27, 2023 02:36PM