AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
November 22, 2002 03:11PM
Dear Doug!

Thanks for you clear answer. When I thought about you suggestions some other questions came up. Please, let me know, if there is no theoretical answer to it.

1) We are using a mixed design, which can be seen somehow as combination of both a block and event-related design. There is a baseline condition (coded a zero in my stimfiles) in between "blocks" of a pure event-related presentation of the stimuli (three stimuli). The stimuli occur at 1/2 TR of 3sec and are totally randomized. The interval within "blocks" between stimuli varies from 0 to 3 TR (also subsampled as sub-TRs or 1/2TR). The mean interval is about 2 sec. Null events ("Fixation Crosses") are presented between the occurence of the 3 stimuli. During the occurence of these event-related "blocks" subjects have to perform 2 tasks (One is a control task). Only one task has to be performed for each "block". The blocks are balanced for both runs ( 183 TR each). The baseline condition is present at at about 50% of the time. During the pretesting of this design with the -nodata option of 3dDeconvole the parameters for estimation and detection eficasy looked quite good.
So formally spoken, lets say I call baseline B, the task T, and the control task C the runs would look something like this:
B T B T B C B C first run
B C B C B T B T second run

To get started I defined 6 regressors representing 6 columns of in my stimfile looking something like this (binaries representing 1/2 TR):
0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0 for B followed
1 0 0 0 0 0 by T
0 1 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 1 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0
0 1 0 0 0 0
0 0 1 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0
0 1 0 0 0 0 for T followed by
0 0 0 0 0 0 B again
0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0 etc.

The first 3 columns represent stimuli during the TASK and the second 3 columns during the control task.

Sorry for that long introduction, but I think it is important that you exactly know, what I have to deal with...

Well, my first question is, if you think that for this kind of design a deconvolulion or a multiple linear regression approach would be more suitable.
I actually tried the deconvolution approach at the very beginning and was not too content with it analyzing two subjects. I shifted therefore to the use of waver, which seemed to work better. But I also improved meanwhile preprocessing steps, which could motivate me to go back again, if you think this would be more approriate.

2) The second question is that, if I would use the deconvolution approach, I have to use the -ntpr option and that seemed to cost some statistical power. This is why I used waver, because I could get around of this option, because I used a time vector as input.
Well, considering these two operation modes of 3dDeconvolve, I have in my case the "trade off" of using the -ntpr option in the deconvolution approach and I do not have this with waver.
Do you think, this will change your suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your patience with my questions...

Lukas

B. Douglas Ward wrote:
>
>
> Hello Lukas:
>
> As I see it, there are basically two operating modes for
> 3dDeconvolve:
>
> 1) Multiple linear regression -- Use program 3dDeconvolve to
> model the fMRI
> signal as a linear sum of the input stimulus functions. In
> this case, you
> might want to "preconvolve" the experimental input binary
> sequence(s) with
> the assumed shape for the hemodynamic response (say, a gamma
> variate function),
> using program waver. This is then used as the input stimulus
> function for
> program 3dDeconvolve. (You might want to use the "-peak"
> option of waver, to
> keep the amplitudes reasonble.) Also, in this case, you
> would normally set
> the 3dDeconvolve maxlag = 0.
>
> 2) Deconvolution -- Use program 3dDeconvolve to estimate the
> hemodynamic
> response (aka, IRF) for each of the input stimuli. In this
> case, the input
> stimulus functions should usually be the "raw" binary
> sequences. That is,
> the binary sequence(s) should NOT be preconvolved with the
> assumed hemodynamic
> response, since you are attempting to estimate the
> hemodynamic response (IRF).
> So, no waver. Also, you should set maxlag > 0.
>
>
> The multiple linear regression approach is usually more
> appropriate for
> block type designs. The deconvolution approach is usually
> more appropriate
> for event related designs.
>
> There are probably exceptions to all of the above statements.
>
> Doug Ward
Subject Author Posted

Estimating the IRF

Lukas Pezawas November 20, 2002 01:49PM

Re: Estimating the IRF

B. Douglas Ward November 22, 2002 01:07PM

Re: Estimating the IRF

Lukas Pezawas November 22, 2002 01:16PM

Re: a few more questions...

Lukas Pezawas November 22, 2002 03:11PM

Re: a few more questions...