AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
November 21, 2003 07:28PM
Ellen,

I think i know what is going on. When you want to do cluster analyses on a statistical map you need to include thresholding information aswell as clustering information. For your 3dmerge command:

3dmerge -clust1 1.42 1992 -prefix myfile MannWhitneytest

you are not specifying a thresholding value for your statistic. In this case all the voxels in the brain are 'significant' so when it tries to cluster, each voxel is connected to every other voxel giving you one huge cluster which is the size of an entire brain. This makes sense given the size of the one cluster that 3dclust found (756545) is enormous. This would also make it so that changes in the minimum cluster size around 1992 would have no effect on the map. Obviously when you are viewing your test within afni you set your thresholding slider to a specific p level. Get the Mann Whitney statistic associated with the p value you want, 2.0 for instance, and use that as a threshold when clustering.

Your new command line should be:

3dmerge -clust1 1.42 1992 -1thresh 2.0 -prefix myfile MannWhitneytest+tlrc

You may have to specify a subbrick in your Mann Whitney test to make sure you are accessing the correct one (see -1dindex and -1tindex in the 3dmerge manual).

I hope this is the answer to your problem,

Christine Smith
Subject Author Posted

more on removing cluster values

Ellen Shlossberg November 21, 2003 06:45PM

Re: more on removing cluster values

Christine Smith November 21, 2003 07:28PM

Re: more on removing cluster values

bob cox November 24, 2003 09:52AM