AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
March 01, 2004 01:55PM
1) Is there a better and faster method than 3dRegAna to create such maps.

As far as I know, currently there is no better solution than 3dRegAna. The reason for the slow speed of running 3dRegAna is probably due to the huge temporary files involved and also heavy-duty matrix operations.

2) How should I set the -rsmin option for these measures?

It just takes too much time to pick up a right threshold value with trial-and-error, but other than the suggestion given in the manual (a value much smaller than the natural measurement error), I don't know any alternatives which would not bear the risk of screening out too many voxels than necessary.

3) Would it be preferable to convert the reaction times in z-scores based on mean reaction times and its standard deviations?

I assume that the behavioral measures are raw data, and I don't see any need for z-score conversion. Are the behavioral measures some statistic values?

4) I used the '-bucket 0 name' option, because I found the other ones to difficult to understand. How should I look at my data. I have b0 and b1 subbriks and corresponding t-statistics. There is also a R2 and F-stat subbrik. It says in the manual that b0 and b1 would not so much differ. Only the colorizing would change.

First, the estimate of b0 and that of b1 are usually different, as you have noticed, because one is the constant and other is the slope of the linear dependence relationship. As people are mostly not interested in the inference of intercept b0, no statistic values are provided for b0 in AFNI output; Instead the statistic values of the linear regression, same thing as the ones for slope estimate b1, are given in the dataset.

Has anybody tried to put in orthogonalized and mean centered polynomial expansions of behavioral data in 3dRegAna (see papers of Christian Buechel)? And how would one set up the -model option, if I have two columns (linear + quadratic measure) in order to test the fit for both?

For quadratic fitting, usually you set the option as '-model 2 1 : 0' -- a full model with both linear and quadratic terms versus a reduced one with only a constant. See example two in the manual.

Gang
Subject Author Posted

Questions about behavioral data

Lukas Pezawas February 28, 2004 10:09PM

PS

Lukas Pezawas February 29, 2004 07:11PM

Re: Questions about behavioral data

Gang Chen March 01, 2004 01:55PM

Lukas Pezawas March 01, 2004 02:20PM

Gang Chen March 01, 2004 04:11PM