AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
Ziad S. Saad
April 22, 2005 05:28PM
Hi Jennine,

From your description, I can't tell what the cause of the problem is. Please send me enough data and instructions so that I can reproduce this error and fix it.

There is another solution for your woes however. You can transform the surface to TLRC or MNI space and then get the coordinates of the nodes you are interested in from within SUMA.

Say your original surface is SURF_ORIG (you're using FreeSurfer, so think lh.smoothwm.asc) and the surface volume is VOL+orig

Using AFNI, create VOL+tlrc (do the Talairach transform).

Using ConvertSurface, create a TLRCed or MNIed version of the surface
ConvertSurface -i_fs SURF_ORIG -o_ply SURF_TLRC -sv VOL+ORIG -tlrc

for MNI, you should add the option -MNI_rai to the command above.

You can view the TLRC/MNI surface in SUMA using:
suma -i_ply SURF_TLRC &

Open the surface controller (ctrl+s) and click around on the surface to get the coordinates you are looking for.

Note: The output surface is in PLY format just because it is one of the formats with no specific coordinate system. When SUMA loads a PLY surface it does not transform its coordinates. However, if you were to write the output surface in FreeSurfer format or SureFit format, the surface coordinates will be changed once viewed in SUMA. That change is necessary because every software that deals with brains adopts its own coordinate system...

As usual, see the -help output of ConvertSurface for more info.

cheers,
-z
Subject Author Posted

SUMA Nodes and AFNI coordinates

Jennine April 22, 2005 01:31PM

Re: SUMA Nodes and AFNI coordinates

Ziad S. Saad April 22, 2005 05:28PM

Jennine April 26, 2005 10:50AM

Node transformation and coordinate problem (revisited)

Jennine April 26, 2005 12:42PM

Jennine April 26, 2005 12:16PM