AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
August 24, 2005 01:01PM
Hello-

I have a question re 3dmerge and 3dresample. I am analyzing some data from a patient population (schizophrenia) and wanted to blur the data before doing parametric tests to increase SNR. Previously I had always blurred the results following parametric testing. My EPI data is 28 slices, 201 images with a voxel size of 4 x 4 x 5. I ran the data through standard pre-processing (despike, tshift, registration) and then used the command "3dmerge -doall -1blur_rms 4" on the data- however, i realized that i do not have isotropic voxels and so the blurring is not equal in all directions. i have tried to resample the data down to 1 x 1 x 1 voxels but i keep getting malloc errors even when using a computer that has 4 g for memory. i was not sure how big of a problem this was so i created a volume with 9 images from 201 and then 1) used 3dresample to go to 1 mm voxels and used 3dFWHM to estimate smoothness (See RSM below) 2) used 3dmerge to do the 4mm blur on the 4 x 4 x 5 data, resampled to 1 mm isometric and then assessed smoothness (GB4.RSM below) and 3) reampled to 1 mm voxels, then blurred with a 4 mm kernel using identical commands as in 2 (RSM.GB4 below). ALl estimates of smoothness were performed only on the area encompassing the brain. As is evident below, the results were very different across the two comparisons- i looked on the message board and could not find any messages addressing this issue- i also looked at the example from one of the how to's (5 i think) and it looks like the shell script does this blurring even though the voxels were square in this experiment as well.

so my question is is this a big deal and wouldn't it be better to blur on isotropic voxels? i imagine that how much difference it will make will depend on the difference in the dimensions of the voxel and how large your kernel is- if it is a big deal, can this be incorporated into the 3dmerge command so that the blurring occurs as if the voxels are isotropic much like the existing dxyz=1 command is for clustering? when i tried this with the blur the images became extremely smooth.

Thanks for taking the time! it is always appreciated!

1) [amayer@amayer TESTING_BLUR]$ more RSM

Gaussian filter widths:
sigmax = 1.38 FWHMx = 3.26
sigmay = 1.59 FWHMy = 3.75
sigmaz = 1.37 FWHMz = 3.24

2) [amayer@amayer TESTING_BLUR]$ more GB4.RSM

Gaussian filter widths:
sigmax = 1.96 FWHMx = 4.63
sigmay = 2.23 FWHMy = 5.24
sigmaz = 1.81 FWHMz = 4.27

3)[amayer@amayer TESTING_BLUR]$ more RSM.GB4

Gaussian filter widths: