AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
bob cox
September 03, 2005 08:48AM
1) AFNI runs only under the X11 graphics system, so you can't run it under the Mac Terminal program. X11 is a graphics system that was developed in the late 1980s to be portable across many different computers. Mac OS X uses a non-portable graphics system called Aqua, and AFNI only 'speaks' X11 (since I want AFNI to run on multiple types of computers). Fortunately, Apple provides the X11 application, which runs on top of Aqua, so that Unix/X11 programs such as AFNI can be ported to run on OS X without too much pain.

So to run AFNI, you have to start X11 and THEN start AFNI. You can set X11 to start automatically when you login, from the System Preferences -> Accounts -> Login Items control panel. Personally, I have X11 and Safari both start when I login. Saves me several seconds of my extremely valuable lifespan.

2) I think your questions about the path are answered on some of the pages under this link: [afni.nimh.nih.gov]

Subject Author Posted

set path in X11 terminal---installation of AFNI on mac os x 10.4

harry September 02, 2005 11:43PM

Re: set path in X11 terminal---installation of AFNI on mac os x 10.4

bob cox September 03, 2005 08:48AM

Re: set path in X11 terminal---installation of AFNI on mac os x 10.4

harry September 03, 2005 08:27PM