AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
August 27, 2007 11:54AM
Hi,
I ran GroupAna with 5 factors, design 3 (1 b/w ppt factor, 3 w/in ppt factors, 1 random effects factor) and got an error msg (see full GroupAna interaction below). From looking at the GroupAna.m file, I think the error results because the user interface code fails to collect user input on factor labels for a 5 factor ANOVA (i.e. lines 177 to 361 are passed over), and fails to collect user's filename input for a 5 factor ANOVA (i.e. lines 437 to 1020 are passed over). However, aside from these interface problems, the statistcs on a 5 factor ANOVA seem to be intact.
I've fixed the interface issues in my version of GroupAna.m. But because of the doubt that GroupAna can handle 5 factor ANOVAs introduced by interface issues, I would like confirmation that GroupAna is indeed equipped to handle the statistics of 5 factor ANOVA, in particular of design type 3. Also, I think it would be nice for other users to have the publicly available GroupAna user interface working for 5 factor ANOVAs.
thanks Gang,
Daniel

>> GroupAna

Welcome to GroupAna, AFNI Group Analysis Package!
-----------------------------------------------------------

Version 1.0.1, Nov. 23, 2005
Author: Gang Chen
SSCC/NIMH/ National Institutes of Health, Bethesda MD 20892
-----------------------------------------------------------

Please read the following carefully about group analysis setup:

1. If the resolution of your EPI data is near n millimeters, during Talairach conversion use
"the command adwarp -dxyz n" to greatly reduce runtime without sacrificing accuracy.

2. We strongly suggest that factor names be labeled with short (2 or 3 capital letters) names
so that subbrik labels can be shown on AFNI viewer.

3. With nesting, arrange your design in such a way that the last factor is nested within the 1st factor.

4. Each input file should include only one subbrik. We suggest files be
named by reflecting the hierarchy of the experiment design.

5. Currently all of the following terms are modeled: main effects and applicable interactions in various orders, .

Groups analysis for volume or surface data (0 - volume; 1 - surface)? 0

How many factors? 5

Availabe design types:

Type 1: Factorial (crossed) design AXBXCXDXE - all 5 factors are fixed.

Type 2: Factorial (crossed) design AXBXCXDXE - only factor E is random. If E is subject it is also
called 4-way design with all 4 factors A, B, C and D varying within subject.

Type 3: Mixed design BXCXDXE(A) - only the nested (5th) factor E (usually subject) is random.
Also called 4-way design with factors B, C and D varying within subject and factor A between subjects.

Type 4: Mixed design BXCXDXE(A) - the 5th factor E is nested within factor A, but factor D (usually subject)
is random.

Choose design type (1, 2, 3, 4, 5): 3

Is the design balanced? (1 - Yes; 0 - No) 0

The following two kinds of unbalanced designs are currently allowed:

(1) All factors are fixed -
1-way ANOVA; 2-way ANOVA type 1: AXB; and 3-way ANOVA type 1: AXBXC

(2) When a random factor (subject) is nested within another factor A,
each level of factor A contains a unique and unequal number of subjects -
3-way ANOVA type 3: BXC(A); 4-way ANOVA types 3: BXCXD(A);
and 4-way ANOVA type 5: CXD(AXB).

Does your unbalanced design belong to either of the above types? (1 - Yes; 0 - No) 1

Enter the sample size (number of observations) per combination: 1

All input files are supposed to contain only one subbrik.

There should be totally 1 input files.
Correct? (1 - Yes; 0 - No) 1

Output file name (in bucket format): outputfile
??? Error using ==> format
Too many output arguments.

Error in ==> <a href="error:/apps/brogden/matlab/afni_matlab/matlab/GroupAna.m,960,1">GroupAna at 960</a>
OutFull = sprintf('%s+%s.HEAD', OutFN, format);
Subject Author Posted

GroupAna, five (5) factors

Daniel Levinson August 27, 2007 11:54AM

Re: GroupAna, five (5) factors

Gang Chen August 27, 2007 12:11PM