AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
September 16, 2007 12:29PM
Dear AFNI experts,

I´m currently trying to analyze a block design where all subjects see the same order of stimuli and each stimulus is presented the same time (matching tasks of either negative faces or negative scenes compared to a matching task of simple geometric shapes). I had problems to align the unprocessed epi to the mprage which doesn´t seem to be the best idea anyway (time consuming). If I understood the message board correctly it is better to align just the stats+orig file to the anatomy. So I tried 2 different preprocessing methods.

1.) Scaling before 3dDeconvolve

timeshift
motion correction
smoothing
scaling (% of mean)
3dDeconvolve (with 'GAM')
Alignment of the stats+orig file to the anatomy

2.) Scaling after 3dDeconvolve

timeshift
motion correction
smoothing
3dDeconvolve (with 'GAM')
computing %auc:

e.g.
3dcalc \
-fscale \
-a "stats+orig[0]" \ #baseline constant
-b "stats+orig[10]" \ #subbrick with regression coef
-expr "100 * b/a * step(1-abs(b/a))" \
-prefix firstnegativecoef_auc

3dcalc \
-fscale \
-a "stats+orig[0]" \
-b "stats+orig[13]" \
-expr "100 * b/a * step(1-abs(b/a))" \
-prefix secondnegativecoef_auc

3drefit -sublabel 0 "%SignalChange_firstnegativestim" firstnegativecoef_auc+orig
3drefit -sublabel 0 "%SignalChange_secondnegativestim"
secondnegativecoef_auc+orig
3dbucket -glueto stats+orig firstnegativecoef_auc+orig
3dbucket -glueto stats+orig secondnegativecoef_auc+orig

Alignment of the stats+orig file to the anatomy

Sorry for this detailed description of scaling after 3dDeconvolve but I´m really not sure whether I did it correctly.

When I choose ß-weight as overlay the %SignalChange_firstnegativestim subbrick (2. method) compared to glt_coef (1. method) was much better. The same happened with the other coef subbrick.
1. problem:
I´m not sure whether subbrick #0 (Full_Fstat) is my baseline constant (sorry for my little understanding of statistics). I have read that scaling of regression coefficients is recommended if the baseline constant is too far away from 100. When I select #0 as overlay, the values are mostly over 200. So, if subbrick #0 is my baseline constant, could this explain why I see almost no activation when I scale before 3dDeconvolve?

When I choose glt_Tstat as overlay both methods show similar results.
2. problem:
Does scaling before 3dDeconvolve change the information contained in the statistical subbricks (finally when scaling after 3dDeconvolve I only scale the coefficients)?

I know that you cannot explain the statistics here but I just want to know whether my assumptions are right and how to do correct scaling after 3dDeconvolve if I want to look at T stats.

I would really appreciate any help!

Beate
Subject Author Posted

scaling and 3dDeconvolve

Beate September 16, 2007 12:29PM

Re: scaling and 3dDeconvolve

Gang Chen September 17, 2007 05:40PM

Re: scaling and 3dDeconvolve

Beate September 18, 2007 10:56AM